Equipping Ankeny children for future academic success while teaching them Christian values that help develop social skills, emotional health, and cognitive thinking.
2020-21 Preschool Registration
FAQ’s for 2020-2021 school year
- Will my child need to wear a mask all day? All children, staff, and parents/caregivers will be wearing masks upon arrival/dismissal. Children & staff will need to wear a mask as much as possible. We are definitely realistic with this expectation and know there are times when it is not possible. As a staff, we are sympathetic to how difficult this may be and will monitor the health/well being of the children in our care. We suggest you start now to get your child used to wearing a mask. Try to be positive about the experience and let your child be a part of picking them out. You will want to have a clean mask for each day. We are providing lanyards for each child to attach to his/her mask in case they take them off.
- Will my child need to have his/her temperature taken? Yes, all children, staff, and educational visitors will have their temperatures taken upon arrival.
- Will preschool be following the same schedule? Yes, we will follow our normal days and times.
- Will snack and mealtime look different? Yes. We will no longer allow students to bring snacks to share. We are asking for a snack fee to offset costs instead of having parents bring snack. This fee will most likely be $30 / semester or $60 / year. We will be giving more information on how & when to pay this soon. 4’s PM & 5’s classes will still bring their lunch from home – All lunches will need an ice pack as we will not be able to store them in our fridge. See our parent handbook for more lunch guidelines. All students will be eating in our snack / lunch area in the square. This is so we are able to social distance them and assure the area for eating is appropriately clean/sanitized.
- Will there be extra cleaning procedures in place? Yes. Our teachers will be using approved cleaning products with an increased cleaning schedule. All preschool areas will also be cleaned each night. Along with increased handwashing, hand sanitizer will be used for teachers and children.
We will follow the Ankeny calendar for days off and weather related decisions.
Our teachers choose themes based around the interest of the preschool age child. We believe learning takes place through play and exploration. Children will explore interest areas such as dramatic play, science & sensory, creative art, building, music, manipulatives, and large motor play. Our classrooms are rich in literacy and language. We provide a variety of experiences to develop small and large motor skills. Our teachers are trained in Learning Without Tears “Get Set for School” in writing, literacy and math. This curriculum is presented in small and large group teaching.
We believe developing social skills and learning to communicate with others is an equally important skill as children grow. Our social curriculum used to develop communication and cooperation skills is called 2nd Step. This curriculum uses puppets, pictures, role playing, and music to help children develop relationships, gain problem solving skills, and build confidence in communicating with others. Lessons are presented to each class once a week. Teachers are then able to aid children throughout the day as they learn to use the skills and tools taught through the 2nd Step curriculum.
Christian education curriculum is also used throughout our programs to encourage / teach faith formation to young children. We use Frolic faith curriculum combined with teacher created lessons. Our desire is for each child to ultimately know God’s true love for them.
Registration will be in January each year. There is a $75 non-refundable registration fee. This fee includes a Preschool @ The Ridge t-shirt for your child.
Our classrooms are set-up for children ages three to five years old. Children must be:
- 3 years old by September 15 for the 3’s program
- 4 years old by September 15 for the 4’s program
- 5 years old by September 15 for the 5’s program.
All children must be potty-trained. At this time we do not offer financial assistance.
To inquire about a priority wait list for 2021-22 contact Wendy.
Our facility is one of the safest in Ankeny. Doors to the preschool area are locked at all times. Our staff is trained to I.D. individuals and check pick-up information before releasing a child to anyone.